SASSA R350 Grant Latrest News
Could the R350 grant come back, almost immediately after it has lapsed? According to Lindiwe Zulu, SASSA is already looking at reinstating the SRD fund. Just a few days after the R350 grant expired, the Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu has made a confirmation that they are in discussions to bring back the R350 SRD Grant payment for the unemployed citizens of South Africa.
You may also like: See The Latest Good News for SRD R350 Beneficiaries
More than 6 million South African beneficiaries of the SRD fund have benefited, and despite SASSA’s cash predicament, there is still an effort to extend the grant is underway.
Will The R350 Grant Be Reinstated In February 2021?
As reported by TheSouthAfrican, the R350 grant recipients will receive payment as a result of any historical appeal, or any ‘delayed payments’ that are owed to them. However, the monthly handout has now gradually come to a standstill.
Also, It was revealed in the previous week that the agency has ‘less than half a billion rand’ to fund social grants. Lindiwe Zulu has also told EWN that there are talks to ensure the R350 grant is extended once more. This will allow applicants to claim the financial support they need from February onwards.
“The conversations have never stopped with regards to talking to the relevant structures, to look at the budget broadly and see if we can’t do anything. It’s no longer an issue of ‘are you going to do it’, no we are not there anymore.”
“We’re now at what legislation is needed for it, what financial model it’s supposed to be, how we’re going to get the money [to continue the R350 grant]. Millions of South Africans are dependent on this.” Said Lindiwe Zulu.
COVID-19 SRD Grant Application Status
The following are methods you can use to check your R350 grant application status:
- You can check your status online using the USSD provided,
- Using email, WhatsApp and SASSA SRD online portal. The WhatsApp no is 082 046 8553, you can also visit https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/status if you applied using email, USSD or the online portal. Please note that you will be asked to provide ID number and the number used to apply.
Please follow this link to check the status of your COVID-19 SRD grant application.
Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grants
Applications for the special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant are only electronic. DO NOT VISIT SASSA OFFICES TO APPLY FOR THIS GRANT. If you need assistance to apply, SASSA staff and appointed volunteers can assist.
The Special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress amount is R350 per month, from the date it is approved. The grant will only be paid for a period from May until October. However, if applicants only apply in July, they will be paid from the month in which they apply – there will be no back pay.
Applicants must be:
- South African Citizens, Permanent Residents or Refugees registered with Home Affairs;
- Resident within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
- Above the age of 18;
- Not receiving any income;
- Not receiving any social grant;
- Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
- Not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme;
- Not receiving any other government COVID-19 response support; and
- Not resident in a government-funded or subsidised institution.
What information is required:
- Identity Number;
- Name and Surname as captured in the ID (and initials);
- Gender and Disability;
- Banking details – Bank Name and Account Number;
- Contact details – Cell phone number;
- Proof of Residential Address; SASSA does not require any applicant to scan in supporting documents such as ID, proof of address or bank statements.
By lodging an application, applicants give consent for SASSA to validate the financial and other information against data sources held by government and financial institutions – including SA Revenue Services and banks.
The provision of false information in an effort to qualify for the grant is an offence and will result in prosecution.
How to apply:
- WhatsApp: 0600 123 456 and select SASSA
- USSD: *134*7737#
- E-mail: SRD@sassa.gov.za(link sends e-mail)
- Call centre IVR: 0800 60 10 11
- Website: https://srd.sassa.gov.za
No paper-based applications will be accepted. Payment will be effected through a channel of your choice. Citizens without bank accounts can also apply. In this case, payment will be effected through a money transfer, once all the necessary validations have been completed. Once applications are approved, SASSA will request confirmation of bank account through a secure site – this will also be done electronically.
Any applicant has the right to request confirmation that this request is from SASSA to protect themselves.
APPLICATIONS ARE FREE: There is no charge to apply – applicants are cautioned not to buy “application forms” – these are not genuine and will not be processed. Applicants are cautioned not to provide their banking details to anyone.
SASSA will only request banking information once the application has been approved.
All beneficiaries and applicants should never give their PIN number or the CVV number on the back of the banking card to anyone – not even SASSA.